Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Stick a fork in Monsanto...

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 11:33:24 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| The EPA considers glyphosate to be noncarcinogenic and relatively low
| in dermal and oral acute toxicity.[20] The EPA considered a "worst
| case" dietary risk model of an individual eating a lifetime of food
| derived entirely from glyphosate-sprayed fields with residues at their
| maximum levels. This model indicated that no adverse health effects
| would be expected under such conditions.

I realize that you've already made up your mind
that you don't want to worry about this sort of thing,
so you're going to cherry pick any data you find, and
thus you'll find the data you want to know.

What "data" have you presented here so far? All I've seen
is opinion, hysteria and outright lies. And of coure *you*
haven't made up your mind, have you? Are you as sure about
the rest of GMO as you were about the Supreme Court conservatives
being to blame for Monsanto prevailing in court?

For anyone else reading this thread, there are other
points to consider:

1) First is the obvious point: Why would anyone decide to
trust a gov't agency that says it's safe to eat poison?

For the same reason that we trust them regarding all the other
chemicals that are found in most of the foods we eat,
everything from trace insecticide, herbicide to food additives.
It's based on science.

2) The issue being discussed here is not specifically
how dangerous glyphosate might be, but rather the
general issue of GMO crops. Roundup Ready GMO
crops are designed to tolerate *even more* toxic
herbicide than other crops.

What matters is how much glyphosate is actually in a
crop when it's harvested. If a chemical breaks down
relatively quickly in the environment is different from
one that persists, like arsenic or lead.

3) At the EPA's own site they make clear, as they
always have, that they see their job as one of balanced
assessment and action. They don't just decide whether
something is poison and should therefore be banned.
They weigh economic and other factors.

Wow, what a profound concept.

The hysteria here is not unlike the hysteria over vaccinations
that has been going on for the last couple of decades. The same
analysis applies, ie cost versus benefit. In the vaccine case,
just like here, certain hippies are absolutely convinced that
vaccinations are causing autism and God knows what else,
despite the mountain of the best scientific evidence that
says it's not true. So now we have outbreaks of measles again,
that are putting kids in the hospital.