Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Air Conditioning and a Separate Dehumidifier

On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:31:54 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"TimR" wrote in message
Okay, Stormy, over to you to defend this one. It was your
idea. I think trader is wrong but I'm not 100%.

Trader's right about not changing the total energy.

However, the phase change takes latent heat of
vaporization, and changes it to sensible heat (to wit,
party of the second part), that being rise in
temperature.

.
.

Well, of course he's right, you can't get something for nothing.

However, we're talking about the difference between adding 6.5 kWthr/day of
heat to the room, from running the equipment, and 12.62 kWthr, from running
the equipment plus the latent heat. We agree since cold air goes out one
hole and warm air out another the sensible heat is a wash, but I tend to
think the latent heat actually goes into the room.

You are still not accounting for the enegery to condense the water out of
the air. The more humidity in the room ,the more enegery it will take to
cool the room if water is being condensed out of the room.

Here are some more calculations to support that.
https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...ooling.405361/

The energy to condense the water doesn't change the amount of energy
that's in the room. It's just moving the energy around, ie the energy
goes from the water vapor to the other air gases in the room. The only
net change in heat in an ideal, perfectly insulated room, is the from
the addition of the electricity used to run the dehumidifier. It's
basic conservation of energy.