Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default what's in your bread?

| No one is forcing farmers to buy anything. If you want to use
| Monsanto products you can use them. If not, you can buy your
| seed from anyone else, non-GMO, etc.

A distorted view of "capitalism" is always the last
refuge of the ostrich. Essentially the argument is:

"No one's forcing anybody to *buy* the snake oil.
Can I go back to sleep now?"

| As long as labeling of foods made from those products includes that info
so
| consumers can make their own decisions, that's great.

Labeling would be nice, but it's more complicated
than that. Monsanto has sued farmers to force use
of their Roundup Ready seed. At this point, much of
the corn and soy grown in the US is RR. One has to
assume that any corn meal products are RR corn.
(Though I read recently that it may not be widespread
in corn sold fresh as corn on the cob.)

PBS documentary including info about Monsanto lawsuits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food%2C_Inc.

The World According to Monsanto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_DbVdVo-k

Monsanto has sued in two different ways:

1) Trying to force use of their seed by suing farmers who
don't use it, claiming those farmers are infringing their
patent by "allowing" their crop to be infected with RR
pollen.

2) Suing anyone who uses RR progeny. There was a recent
case about that. A farmer bought some soy from a grain
elevator to do an off-season planting, figuring that some
of the soy would be RR and some of that would sprout,
allowing him to heavily use RR on his crop. The court
agreed with Monsanto's claim that it's illegal to attempt
growing plants from seeds that come from RR stock!

If the public doesn't become focussed on the problem
of patented life forms there will be a great deal of
difficulty controlling GMO at all, simply because there
will be so much money to be made by patenting plants
and animals. This is just getting started, yet already it's
hard to buy non-RR processed foods that contain soy or
corn.