Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
On 2/3/2015 2:23 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 1:17:07 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon
wrote:
On 2/3/2015 9:36 AM, wrote:
My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way.

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

Can't see it from here, but that *CAN* be a
bad gasket between the carb and the engine.

Might also have bad (inadequate) valve
clearance, which is just as likely as the bad
carb gasket.

I'd ask the shop to check those two. Needs a
bit of Permatex IIb non hardening sealer on
the carb gasket.

Valve clearance is typically .010 intake,
.020 exhaust, both measured at top dead center
where the valves should both be full closed.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org

I think he's saying that the instructions or
markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
air warmer box)

I've read through this post a couple more times,
I don't see that.

Stormy,

I think you must have missed that in the original (and only) post that the
OP write which said,

"I just bought a Craftsman snowblower model 247.889720 with the 208 cc
"quiet" motor. I had a similar problem--uneven running with the choke
supposedly open. I found that the dial for the choke has confusing markings.
Straight up and down is usually a full open choke. In this case, a full
right turn is a closed choke, up and down is half choke, and all the way to
the left is the open-choke, running position. Very unusual. At first, from
the markings, I thought left and right turns closed the choke. It was
functioning but not running smoothly in the up and down position, could
smell lots of unburned gas and the fuel consumption seemed very high. On
this model there appears to be no air filter and it would take a lot of
disassembly to actually see the choke blade in the carburetor. I decided to
experiment with the full left position and that cured the problem--smooth
running and no smell of unburned gas from an over-rich mix due to the choke
being half closed."

So, the comment above that said,

" I think he's saying that the instructions or
markings don't make sense...as he can't see the
choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb
air warmer box)"

made sense to me and seemed to be correct.