Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 11:23:25 -0800 (PST), bob_villa
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 1:17:07 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/3/2015 9:36 AM, wrote:
My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way.

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

Can't see it from here, but that *CAN* be a
bad gasket between the carb and the engine.

Might also have bad (inadequate) valve
clearance, which is just as likely as the bad
carb gasket.

I'd ask the shop to check those two. Needs a
bit of Permatex IIb non hardening sealer on
the carb gasket.

Valve clearance is typically .010 intake,
.020 exhaust, both measured at top dead center
where the valves should both be full closed.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.
www.lds.org
.
.

I think he's saying that the instructions or markings don't make sense...as he can't see the choke plate. (usually seen from below the carb air warmer box)

Well, I can trithfully say that in 50 years I have NEVER seen a choke
that was open in the center position - NEVER.
Virtually all close counter-clockwize -