Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

wrote:
My old yellow & green 21" Yardman that I inherited was getting
so bad it actually ran strongest with choke closed(full choke)!
And even then for only 5-10 minutes at a time before it would
not stay running at all and then I'd have to finish the driveway
the old fashion way.

Local small engine shop threw everything they could at it,
still would not stay running, and the only way to start it, in
any temperature, was via the electrical outlet start.

What the machine needed is a new carb , or a thorough cleaning of the old
one . Most times they don't pull the plugs and clean the passages as they
should . Crud and varnish in those tiny passages restricts fuel flow , thus
the need for full choke to keep it running . Then a flake of that crud comes
loose and completely blocks that passage , and no amount of choke will work
until the detergents in the fuel dissolve that blockage ... I recently
replaced the one on my weedeater and one of the chainsaws because it was as
cheap as the rebuild kits . Both run almost like new now .
--
Snag