Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default {OT] Preventing Tracking, Blocking Ads, Stopping Malware, Enhancing Facebook, Managing Privacy Settings on Facebook and LinkedIn

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 09:26:56 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I don't agree with you. FB is a LOT easier than what you just wrote.

That's the same response SMS has: "But Facebook
is a lot easier." In many ways it probably is. So what?
Is your life only about easy?
This thread started with talking about ways to protect
privacy. This is a perfect example of how scourges
like Facebook get going. We all want privacy and
security and blah, blah, blah, but.... you mean I'll
have to sit up and make a little effort? OK. Never mind.
I guess this spying and ads isn't really so bad.

Facebook is easy to open an account. But once the account is opened,
it's a major pain adjust the settings, which are what is needed to
eliminate much of the spying and "open doors" that allow FB to
manipulate people's accounts and track what they do. Of course thay
make that tough, because they know mist people will just leave the
"doors open" and FB can then do whatever they please.

I said in another post that I closed my FB account several years ago,
and that was after less than a month of opening it. What I did not say,
is that I actually do have a current FB account. But it's listed to one
of my pets. I only open it from an old computer that I was no longer
using. It has Win98, and Firefox 3.x (3.x is the last version of FF
that will work on Win98. There is nothing on that computer except Win98
and Firefox. Plus I have some clipart stored on there. FB can access
that computer all they want, because they wont find any personal info.
The only reason I haev that account is because there are some local rock
bands and a few other businesses that I like to get their schedule, and
they dont have websites, only FB. And to get on their FB site requires
an account. I have never posted anything on that FB page. I just
opened it under the pets name, made up an adddress and faked the
birthdate. I do not have any "FB friends" I probably use it 3 times a
year at most. It's so boring I doubt FB would have any interest in it.
And if they do, I dont care.