Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default {OT] Preventing Tracking, Blocking Ads, Stopping Malware, Enhancing Facebook, Managing Privacy Settings on Facebook and LinkedIn

| You forgot to mention one of my favorite programs. "Partition Magic",
| also made by Powerquest. Symantec bought that and destroyed it. It's
| now part of one of their costly packages. I dont know which one, nor do
| I care. I too dont use anything from Symantec either. Fortunately my
| registered Partition Magic still works fine on XP, as well as Win98
| Win2000 and probably WinME. I think ity also worked on Win95. But I
| dont know if it works on Viata, Win7, or Win8???? (Since I only use XP
| and still, Win98 too).

I didn't know they'd also redone PM. I also had
that one. Powerquest was sleazy about that. They
carefully divided the functionality between two
different, overpriced programs, so that neither
was quite fully functional by itself. (They even
claimed the software was licensed to only one hard
disk. $50 for a hard disk and $70 for the utility to
partition it!)

When I moved to XP I did some research and found
BootIt. (I've also used multi-booting for many years.)
I've been very happy with that, and it's been updated
to handle the differences in Vista+, while still fitting
on a floppy -- though I boot it from a CD. Unfortunately,
Vista/7 is a bloated mess. An XP image fits on a CD,
and that's with most or all of my software installed.
The smallest Win7 image I've been able to make
requires 2 DVDs.