Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default {OT] Preventing Tracking, Blocking Ads, Stopping Malware, EnhancingFacebook, Managing Privacy Settings on Facebook and LinkedIn

On 2/1/2015 6:59 AM, Mayayana wrote:

snip

If you look around online you'll also find that there's a
cottage industry built around removing Norton software.

Sometimes their applications are as difficult to remove as the viruses
and malware they claim to be preventing.

With improvements by Microsoft in Windows, including MSE, the bigger
issue for users is preventing tracking, suppressing ads, and managing
privacy settings on social media. Fortunately there's also a cottage
industry in all of those, much to the dismay of companies like Google
and Facebook. Look for apps that Google has banned from the Play Store
because they could affect ad revenue; they must be afraid that they have
the potential of becoming popular.

When I use someone else's computer I am shocked at how bad it is because
of their lack of knowledge of how to suppress ads, prevent tracking, and
install other vital browser add-ons. It's not because they're stupid,
it's because they just don't know about that sort of thing.

I really hate reading Usenet with Google Groups because it's more of
pain to do filtering. alt.home.repair has its share of problem posters
but it's actually much better than some other groups. There are several
newsgroup readers that make filtering them out very easy. It's a little
work at first but there's a big payoff in readability of groups.