Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default {OT] Preventing Tracking, Blocking Ads, Stopping Malware, Enhancing Facebook, Managing Privacy Settings on Facebook and LinkedIn

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015 09:59:40 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

Symantec bought Drive Image from Powerquest. It
was a good disk imaging program that fit onto a floppy.
By the time Symantec was through with it, Drive Image
was a bloated, useless backup program based on .Net.
(Software reviews for Symantec's DI at the time were
as bad as my description. .Net is similar to Java. The
absurdity of designing a low-level disk utility to run in
Java or .Net -- bloated, high-level languages designed
for sandboxed web services and thus designed to prevent
access to the kind of low-level operations a disk utility
performs -- well, I don't know what to say. Their action
was inexplicable.)

You forgot to mention one of my favorite programs. "Partition Magic",
also made by Powerquest. Symantec bought that and destroyed it. It's
now part of one of their costly packages. I dont know which one, nor do
I care. I too dont use anything from Symantec either. Fortunately my
registered Partition Magic still works fine on XP, as well as Win98
Win2000 and probably WinME. I think ity also worked on Win95. But I
dont know if it works on Viata, Win7, or Win8???? (Since I only use XP
and still, Win98 too).

Actually, I believe Powerquest went out of business after Symentec
bought their stuff.