Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Is Kohler out to get a few extra bucks out of us?

On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:58:37 PM UTC-5, Rebel1 wrote:
The task was to replace a 33x22" cast iron, double-bowl, kitchen sink
with a same-sized one made of stainless steel. I naively thought I just
drop the replacement into the same hole. Turns out the hole was grossly
undersized for the new sink. The new hole had to be enlarged to 32.5 x
21.5" - yes, only 1/4" margin on all four sizes - to accommodate
u-channels for the retaining clips and the larger bowls. Doing the sides
wasn't so bad (used jig saw, belt sander, and rotary file at the
corners), but the back and front were impossible because of extra
supports in those spots.

The countertop is 24" deep, Formica on 3/4" particle board. The supplied
retaining clips are long enough to grasp the bottom of a 3/4" counter,
so they are okay for the sides. At the back, there is one extra support
making the thickness there 1.5". At the front, from top to bottom the
thickness is 2.25". Here's how it looks:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/16216641888/

Top photo is looking toward front; bottom, looking toward backsplash.

Had to call Kohler to order extra long screws. They had the 2.5" size
that I needed. (Even longer ones are available.) I think there are 12 to
a package for $10.00, plus $14.95 for expedited shipping (2 - 3 days).
The gal gave me a break, charging $5.00 for the clips, making the total
$19.95. Still, I'm without a sink probably to Monday.

What really ****es me off is that Kohler supplied with the sink clips
that only work on 3/4" counter. Certainly my house isn't the only one on
the planet with extra support at the front over the double-doors, and at
the back. I would cost them virtually nothing extra to supply 2.5" with
every SS dropin sink. The extra lengths on the sides wouldn't cause any
problems. Shame on greedy Kohler.

Here's what they look like at the 1.5" length. Note the outrageous price.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_639063-28557...ips&facetInfo=

Just venting here.

R1

most people who replace a sink buy a new counter top too