Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default are newer furnaces more efficient?

On 1/28/2015 4:43 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 2:06:25 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/28/2015 1:40 PM, John Albert wrote:

I've got a 1988 Burnham gas furnace in my 1911-vintage and very leaky
1400 sq.ft. house. Last month's bill indicated 224x100 cubic feet of
consumption.

It's still running fine, but wondering if a more efficient furnace would
make much of a difference.

A 1998 furnace is probably not more than 85% or so but I'd have it
checked to be sure.

You may get a better return stopping some of the leaks though. It can
get expensive replacing doors and windows, but covering existing
windows, insulating, and spray foam have a quick payback.

Our Carrier, that I put in '95, is 92% efficient.

That's pretty good. Not worth an upgrade unless it needs replacing at
some point.