Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default are newer furnaces more efficient?

On 1/28/2015 8:53 AM, trader_4 wrote:

s after the furnace is 10 years old or so.

I'd be happy to see data that supports that. There are a lot of people
with fuel bills of $1500 a year. If they save 20%, that's $300 a year.
In ten years, it's $3000, about 50% more than the cost of the furnace
equipment to begin with. I replaced my 27 year old nat gas furnace
4 years ago and have been saving 40%+, Ed reports similar with a boiler.
I'm saving about $300 a year.

I was skeptical when the advertising said you can save up to 40% on fuel
use. I figured if I save 25% to 30%, I'd be happy I kew what my oil
consumption was the the past couple of years so I had numbers for
comparison

After the first year, I calculated the oil use based on degree days. At
www.degreedays.net I was able to get the historic data also. I was
pleasantly surprised to see that I came very close to the 40%. I even
contacted Energy Kinetics, makers of the System 2000 boilers. They did
their own audit and concluded I save 39.2%.

In my case, the old boiler was about 30 years old and on the way out
soon so I had to do something. It was also good timing with Federal
energy credits, state rebate and state 0% financing. It would have been
foolish to do nothing and pour money up the flue.

So far, it has been trouble free, no repairs. Once last winter I had to
cut the power, let it restart and it has been OK since.