Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default are newer furnaces more efficient?

Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:17:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/27/2015 11:43 PM, micky wrote:

Are you somehow giving the measured efficiency or the rated one?
Anyone know if there is an innate difference in the efficiency of hot
air furnace vs. a hot water furnace?

What is a hot water furnace? Most houses using hydronic heating have
boilers.

Doesn't confuse me. Most "boilers" in residential heating don't come
very close to boiling.
But to answer the question, since they are producing 95% "efficient"
boilers for residential use, I'd say they're probably more efficient
since a circ pump probably uses less electricity than a blower.
It's not a choice for most people if they like central A/C , because
it's generally forced air heat that provides the vents for it.
As far as I know new houses are overwhelming equipped with force air
heat.
My house was built in '59 or '60 and came with forced air.
It was simple for me to add central A/C when I replaced the furnace.

If a boiler is being used, then flue gas is over 200 degrees. My forced air
fan on 70k btu runs 300 watts or less. Maybe a bit more in air conditioning
mode. It's variable speed.

Greg