Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default How to minimize voltage drop caused by heavy machine?

yyy378 wrote:
How to minimize voltage drop caused by heavy machine?

We have a typical office environment including computers, scanners,
lights, etc. However, we also have a 14" saw. When it starts, the voltage
drops for a split of a second. This has no immediate effect except on the
scanner. Even though the scanner is plugged into an uninterrupted power
supply, if the saw starts and the scanner is in the middle of scanning,
the scanner will stop and scanning is aborted. When the saw starts, the
uninterrupted power supply produces a click sound. It seems the
protection mechanism is kicked in. Why are the computers not affected but only the scanner?

The saw starts roughly every two minutes. This renders the scanner
useless. Is there a device I can add to the saw to minimize the voltage
drop? Thanks in advance for all the help.

An on-line UPS is a power conditioner. Tend to be a few bucks. This would
be connected to the scanner.

Greg