Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default How to minimize voltage drop caused by heavy machine?

On 1/26/2015 11:35 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:12:43 +0630, yyy378
wrote:

How to minimize voltage drop caused by heavy machine?

We have a typical office environment including computers, scanners,
lights, etc. However, we also have a 14" saw. When it starts, the
voltage drops for a split of a second. This has no immediate effect
except on the scanner. Even though the scanner is plugged into an
uninterrupted power supply, if the saw starts and the scanner is in the
middle of scanning, the scanner will stop and scanning is aborted. When
the saw starts, the uninterrupted power supply produces a click sound.
It seems the protection mechanism is kicked in. Why are the computers
not affected but only the scanner?

The saw starts roughly every two minutes. This renders the scanner
useless. Is there a device I can add to the saw to minimize the voltage
drop? Thanks in advance for all the help.

If it is that important to you,. buy a ferro resonant power
conditioner for the scanner.

You might also be able to go inside the scanner and put some big
capacitors on the DC power supply.

I don't understand this at all.
The purpose of a UPS is to prevent that from happening.
You need a better ups...or maybe the batteries are just weak
and not really doing their thing.

Maybe you can put the scanner and the saw on different circuits?
Depending on the wiring of the building that may or may not help.

Having your ups restart every two minutes sounds like "asking for trouble!"