Posted to alt.home.repair
RMD[_3_] RMD[_3_] is offline

Default Small engine question, does a few drops of gas in the spark plug hole do long term damage

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 13:08:49 -0800 (PST), wrote:

When i haven't used a tool in a few months and it is hard to start, i find that
Taking out the spark plug, and putting a few drops of gas in there, and replacing the
Plug, helps get it started.
The question is, can this do long term damage?
It less than 1/2 a thimble i put in.

I know too much gas could hydrolock which would be bad so
I keep it too a very small amount.

Can the gas wash the oil off the cylinder walls and cause
Excess wear? I don't see how that could happen.

Mark

I usually put a petrol-soaked rag in the carby mouth with the choke
full on (at least initially). (Btw a big rag, you don't want it sucked
into the engine.) The rag chokes the engine as well as providing a
rich mixture.

Ross