Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine question, does a few drops of gas in the spark plug hole do long term damage

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:34:52 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:57:08 -0500, wrote:

My first teaching job was filling in for the idiot that tried to get
an old bus engine in the shop running by pouring gas down the carb
from a can or cup while a student cranked it over.
2nd and 3rd degree burns on arm, chest, face and groin - out of
commision for over 9 months.

I never cranked engines while I poured gas in the carb, let is settle
in the engine, have a towel ready if there was backfire. Toss over the
carb is it did flame up.

An old gasoline blowtorch - or even a pump oil can - is a LOT safer
than an open can or cup!!!!

Don't even THINK about dribbling it out the vent of a gas-can!!!!!!

What lesson did these students learn from this "idiot". FIRE makes you
run fast?

If the engine backfires into the intake and you get a carb fire, just
pray the battery doesn't die, and suck the flame in!!.