Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default (OT) Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

writes:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:40:17 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

Win9x was known as platform 1. NT is platform 2.
So Win98 was v. 4.1, platform 1. WinME was v.
4.9, platform 1. NT 4 was v. 4, platform 2. Win2000
was v. 5.0, platform 2.

WinME was a flop, which was actually convenient
when MS tried to push people to XP. WinME was
almost new when XP came out, so it didn't make
much sense to say it was obsolete. What MS did
instead was to pretend ME never existed (as they've
done with Vista) and then talked about upgrading
the "obsolete" Win98 to XP.

Seems MS is good at trying to trick people, just by using different
names. I found an article written by MS. The reason they are calling
the next version Windows 10, is "to put some distance between Windows
8". THe reason is because the original release of Windows 8 was a flop
too, but their 8.1 sort of fixed some of that.

But so what????? So we skipped a number...... Who cares, it's still the
same product (the next release after Windows 8.x).

That makes about as much sense as calling "John Doe" who is the homeless
town drunk. But if you call him "Mr. Doe", he suddenly becomes the
town's wealthy Police Chief.

Sense never comes into it.
Product naming is always done by sales.
Names are chosen for many reasons, including emotional impact.

In the computer business, this is especially true.
I've seen the exact same piece of software go though so
many names that I'd need a chart to keep track.

I'm sure the technical people would just like ascending
consecutive version numbers. Probably fortunately,
the sales people control picking names.

--
Dan Espen