Posted to alt.home.repair
CRNG[_2_] CRNG[_2_] is offline

Default Shovel Handle Coating: Anybody Tried Epoxy?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:19:00 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote in

Just made a new handle for one of those snow-pusher thingies.

Probably should have used oak or ash, but I had some poplar on hand so
that's what I used..... but the wood is looking kind of raw - as in
maybe splinters sometime in the future.

SOP seems to be boiled linseed oil, tung oil, or (linseed oil plus a
solvent).

But I don't have any of those on hand... but I do have some West System
epoxy.

Anybody tried epoxy on a tool handle?

Out here in rural areas we use old engine oil out of a car or tractor
to coat wood that we want to preserve against the weather.