Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How to remove cast iron kitchen sink

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 8:33:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:43:49 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 2:58:47 PM UTC-5, Rebel1 wrote:
I'm planning to replace a top-mounted cast iron sink, resting on a
formica countertop, with a top-mounted stainless sink. The problem is
the cast iron sink probably weighs 100 pounds, more than I can handle.
(I don't have a helper, and I don't know if the trash collectors will
take such a heavy item; normal limit is 50 pounds.)

How can I break the cast iron sink into two or more lighter pieces. The
old sink (and the new one) have two bowls. Probably the most vulnerable
spot is the wall between the two bowls. I don't have a sledge hammer,
but I do have an ordinary-weight hammer and a cold chisel. I've already
removed the caulking on the front and both sides. I'll cover the sink
with a blanket or heavy towels to contain the enamel chips that will fly
when I start hammering.

Any other suggestions for vulnerable spots to attack or approaches other
than a hammer and chisel? What about reciprocal saws? What kind of blade?

Thanks,

R1

You're trying to use a bulldozer to move an ant hill. Smashing up the
sink will likely damage the counter top and formica, and flying pieces
may even break a window or something else.

100 lbs is probably almost double the weight of that sink, but since I'm
not seeing it, I cant say for sure.

Do this in order:

1. Remove any caulk around sink.
2. Remove the clamps on the underside of the sink.
3. Remove the water supply pipes.
4. Remove the faucet (optional), if you plan to reuse it.
5. Remove the drain pipes.

6. Go to a store and buy a 12 pack of beer.
7. Call a friend(s) and ask them to come over for some beers.
8. When they arrive, ask them to help you life that sink out of the
counter.
9. Put the sink outside where it's not in the way.
10. Drink beer with your buddies, watch a movie too!

That's what I did when I replaced by stainless with a cast iron.
It does take 2 people to get the cast iron in/out, but it's a
2 minute thing, unless it doesn't fit or something.

11. Advertise "FREE SINK" on Craigslist
or Freecycle.com
-OR- Give it to one of the guys who helped you to sell for scrap metal.
Cast iron is worth a few bucks.

Here we have bulk pickup by the township once a month, that's where
my old sink went.

12. Reinstall new sink, and hope you can find one to fit the counter
top.

If you dont have any buddies who drink beer, (You're in big trouble).
But you can always pay the neighbor's teenagers to help you.... Or
maybe some old retired guy who has a lot of spare time....

+1