Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Chair Repair Question

On 1/25/2015 8:29 AM, wrote:
I have a LazyBoy recliner chair that needs a fix.
I will try to describe the chair, and its problem.

The chair has wooden arms with wooden supports three vertical, round
'rods' (my word) each about 10" long and about 2" diameter. The
'rods' go thru round holes in the chair arms. When originally built,
the 'rods' look like they were made to stay in the arms by having a
small wooden wedge forced into the 'rods' so as to make them stay in
place in the arms. Wouldn't you know - the arms have begun to pull
off the 'rods'. Put it another way - the 'rods' now portrude thru the
arm holes and stick up about an inch.

There - I hope I have described the problem well enough that someone
can advise me how to fix this. I think the proper way to fix the rods
would be to remove the wooden wedge from each rod, and replace it with
another slightly bigger wedge to basically make the rod stay in the
arm's hole. Plus maybe a little glue?

I am not a carpenter, so I can't really do this. But I am wondering -
is there a glue or some other substance that I could coat onto the
part of the rod that is sticking up (about 1/2") that would hold the
rod in place - maybe even swell the rod to make it a tight fit again?

Thanks
JW

If you have a mallet, some toothpicks and Gorilla wood glue, you may
have a chance ) I would even split a couple of toothpicks, soak them
in water for a few minutes to soften them. Apply a couple of pieces of
toothpick to the top of the supports and then glue (follow instructions
on the glue carefully) and push them into the hole in the arm. Smack
the arm down carefully until top of rod is flush with arm. Watch for
glue oozing and wipe it carefully. Would also help if there is crusty
old glue on the support to scrape that off before beginning the repair.
Good luck, and let us know.