Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default 2-year old boy kills mother in Idaho Wal-Mart.

"BenignBodger" wrote in message

stuff snipped5

That's right it is against the odds. _Today's_ kiddy shooter is a
five-year-old in Missouri who shot his little brother to death with the

fun
toy his grandpa let him have access to.

I think it's fascinating that another poster here is so *sure* of himself
(and so ignorant) that he's willing to call someone an idiot about not
knowing probabilities of child gun injuries. He clearly doesn't seem to
have a inkling about the REAL number of kids who are killed and injured by
guns a year. Too much Fox Faux News watching, I guess. Even the very
conservative NY Daily News knows the sad truth about the *real*
probabilities:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1592703

The grim findings by Yale University researchers, published today in the
journal Pediatrics, estimate that firearm injuries sent 7,391 children to
the emergency room in 2009 — about 20 per day. Of these, 6% go on to die
from their injuries . . . Other data reported by the American Academy of
Pediatrics estimates over 3,000 additional children die from their injuries
before reaching the ER, putting the total number hurt or killed each year
above 10,000.

So approximately 2 kids are killed (or horribly maimed) a day from gun
injuries. Those statistics don't even include the poor little kid who has
to grow up knowing he killed his own mother. That's an unimaginable burden,
IMHO. Makes you wonder who the real idiots are that don't understand
probabilities?
I own quite a few guns but I wouldn't if there were kids in my house.
Ironically, most times I've had to use a gun to avoid being assaulted the
gun could have easily been unloaded. Only once was someone stupid enough to
advance against a pistol pointed at him and I had to fire into the ground to
convince him to retreat. Now I own a Taster and am much more likely to grab
that then a handgun.

--

Bobby G.