Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Small engine question, does a few drops of gas in the spark plughole do long term damage

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 4:08:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
When i haven't used a tool in a few months and it is hard to start, i find that
Taking out the spark plug, and putting a few drops of gas in there, and replacing the
Plug, helps get it started.
The question is, can this do long term damage?
It less than 1/2 a thimble i put in.

I know too much gas could hydrolock which would be bad so

It would take a lot more than that wee little shot
to hydrolock it. You'd have to fill it up with enough
liquid, little air that it couldn't compress it. And
catch it at the right part of the cycle too.

I keep it too a very small amount.

Can the gas wash the oil off the cylinder walls and cause
Excess wear? I don't see how that could happen.

Mark

Sure it can, but that small amount, just at start up, I
would think it would take so many starts for it to have any
real effect, the motor would have died from something else first.
Starting ether serves the same purpose, with the same possible
side effects. I only use it though on the rare occasion an
engine won't start, not for routine start attempts.