Posted to alt.home.repair
FrozenNorth[_4_] FrozenNorth[_4_] is offline

Default NEC revisions. Why...?

On 1/25/2015 11:53 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 08:02:43 -0800 (PST), bob_villa
wrote:

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 10:35:28 PM UTC-6, Robert Green wrote:
"bob_villa" wrote in message

Isn't water conduction the point of GFCI?

Yes, but . . . I'd think the shock hazard is greatest when you're dealing
with things like metal sinks and actual contact with grounded wet surfaces
that improve conduction. With an icemaker you've got narrow diameter
plastic tubing and tap water, whose conductivity will vary with the ion
content of the water and very little chance of contact with liquid water or
the tubing that delivers it to the unit in normal use.

Thanks Mr. Green!

I do think this GFCI thing seems to be out of control.
It made sense to have GFCI on the small appliance circuits since most
of them do not use grounded plugs but the dishwasher and fridge have
grounded cases. The same is true of washers and dryers and the washing
machine receptacle is required to be GFCI now too.
Can the dryer be far behind? If not, why not?

Are there 220V gfci plugs or breakers even available?

--
Froz...