Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

Mayayana wrote:

You demonstate my points. I explain what I
find lacking in Linux and you imply that it's perfect
by definition. I tell you it doesn't run the software
I use and you discount that: You write software.
What else would someone do on Linux?

I never implied Linux was perfect. If the tools you prefer to use are only
available on Windows, stick with Windows. Many graphics people cut their
teeth on Apple.I've never owned or used an Apple computer. I don't have
anything against them but they've never filled my needs.

What else would someone do on Linux? Perhaps respond to posts in this
newsgroup using KNode. Maybe handle their email with KMail. Or browse the
web with Firefox, CHrome, Konqueror or several other browsers. Read
downloaded comics with Gwenview. I don't have the need to do Office type
stuff and haven't figured out how to use a spreadsheet since they were
LibreOffice.

Oh, and there's Eclispse and Googles new Android Studio that are cross
platform but that's back to programming I guess. Then there's the Banshee
media player, among others. Reading eBooks with FBReader, or converting them
to different formats with Caliber. Then I can sideload them into my Kindle
if I want. I generally use the Dolphin file manager. It sort of resembles
Explorer.

Funny thing is I fire all these off from a Start menu, never touch a console
window. It's obvious you've never put more than 5 minutes into a Linux
system so use Windows and prosper. I feel your pain with VS 6.0. I've got to
use it to build one legacy application that's heavily dependent on MFC 4.0
but I'm going to drown that peice of crap one of these days.