Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

| Second, all the major distros have had fully graphical
| installers for ages.

I never said otherwise. You're twisting my words.
When I installed Red Hat 4 in 1999 it had a graphical
installer. That didn't make it a useful OS. What I said
was that it's difficult to go far in Linux without needing
to open a console window, and that such primitive
functionality should not be required.

| Go ahead, bring up the graphical installer.
| Select install, click on multimedia tools, click on Gimp.
| If that floats your boat, that has been working for years.

Again, your not being entirely straight. You're
talking about being able to install GIMP from a
stored selection of installers that come with a
Linux distribution. (Most of which are usually
outdated.)

I did use the graphical installer for GIMP 2.8 on
Windows. First I had to hunt down the Windows
version. The GIMP people didn't actually take
responsibility for that installer. Now they do at
least have it linked from their site, but one has
to understand FTP indices to get it. Do you really
think the average graphic artist knows how to
navigate the FTP site and understand the difference
between a .exe and a .tar.gz?

Then there's the help. A different install, from
a different FTP site. Hopefully it integrates.
Actually I don't remember now whether the help
actually worked once it was installed. It may have.

I tried GIMP mainly because I'd heard it was
finally going to have MDI design. (Tool windows
docking in a parent window, rather than floating
all over the Desktop.) It turned out the MDI
functionality was less than impressive.

You don't seem to understand just how far all
those little quirks are from the functionality that
has been taken for granted in Windows for decades.
Many people can't find a downloaded file after they
download it.

| So, anyone else reading Mayayana's rants, I suggest you take them
| with a grain of salt.

I'd suggest that, too. I'm just trying to provide
the caveats that are missing from the evangelist's
sales pitches. By all means, try Linux. Just don't
go spending time or money with the expectation that
you'll end up smiling and Windows-free, with no
cost, in "a couple of hours". Be prepared to "put on
your work clothes".