Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default How to remove cast iron kitchen sink

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:41:03 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 4:37:02 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
I would not break it up in place, installed. You'll mangle the countertop and never fit the new one in.

If you really need to break it before moving, at least pull it out of the countertop and set it on a couple of 2x4s.

+1

I don't see an easy/practical way to break/cut it up while it's in the counter.
Just find someone to help lift it out. I'd also bet it doesn't weigh 100 lbs,
but it's still heavy and you need 2 people. A call to the town or
whoever does the trash pickup will solve the question of what to do with it.
If they will take it, then simplest thing is get it out there in one piece.
I also wouldn't tell the trash folks as to the guess of how much it might weigh. I'd just say it's a cast iron kitchen sink. If they won't take it,
they can tell you the options. One option is to just put it at the curb
with a sign that says "free". That often works, folks go around picking up
metal stuff for scrap.

If he puts a sign on it that says "free" it could stay there a long
time. Put a sign on it that says "$5" and it will be gone within an
hour.