william_b_noble

Default Horsepower Improves Quality of Cut

aaah, don't believe this too much - I have a dent in my roof from about 50#
of wood hitting it, when the blank quit bouncing, I noticed that it had a
3/8 to 1/2 inch deep gouge from a catch. So no, horsepower won't save your
a**. However, skill does help - a few more years of turning and I don't do
that any more.

"David Wade" wrote in message
I'll agree with that, and on a similar vein, it seems to me that
horsepower reduces some kinds of catches. Rather than stall it pulls the
wood through the cut. This supposes that a) you intended to make that
particular cut, and b) your technique and posture is such that it didn't
rip your arm off or launch you into the ceiling. ;o)
David (who jumped from a 3/4 hp JET to a 3hp Oneway a couple years ago)
--
http://www.wademade.net

Derek Hartzell wrote:
My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms.

weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the

bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

Anyone ever noticed this?

Thoughts?