Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its firstyear of release

On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 9:11:13 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
|I use puppy linux. Way faster and more stable than windows.:-)

"Way faster"? Is there something you find unusably
slow on Windows? I ask because I think speed is
vastly overrated, due to a long history of marketing.
People even talk about browser speed, and the browser
companies encourage it by running tests and trying to
beat each other out with page load times. But a slow
webpage load is usually due to a slow server, a slow
Internet, or a bloated and badly designed webpage.
Choice of browser has little to do with it.

Speed hasn't really been an issue since the late 90s
when CPUs got up to about 500 MHz, unless you're
someone who edits video or giant photos. Then speed
is about getting more RAM.

Baloney. Put Windows 8 on a 500Mhz machine and it will be
a pig. Not saying you need the latest quad core whatever, but
there is a big, noticeable difference in performance between
today's 2ghz multicore CPUs and a 500Mhz CPU.