Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its first year of release

|I use puppy linux. Way faster and more stable than windows.:-)

"Way faster"? Is there something you find unusably
slow on Windows? I ask because I think speed is
vastly overrated, due to a long history of marketing.
People even talk about browser speed, and the browser
companies encourage it by running tests and trying to
beat each other out with page load times. But a slow
webpage load is usually due to a slow server, a slow
Internet, or a bloated and badly designed webpage.
Choice of browser has little to do with it.

Speed hasn't really been an issue since the late 90s
when CPUs got up to about 500 MHz, unless you're
someone who edits video or giant photos. Then speed
is about getting more RAM.

While a Windows
PC with a lot of junk installed can be very slow (I've
seen XP systems that move like molasses), in
general there's no problem with Windows. I'm running
XP right now, on a home made box that's nothing
fancy. I bought one of the cheapest CPUs about 2
years ago. Yet virtually everything I do is instant, at
least as far as my human perception can tell. I don't
think that even the super-duperest Linux can beat
instant.

Which is not to say I'm against Linux. I just hate to
see people spend money needlessly. And Linux is not
"free" if it takes new hardware and/or lots of time to
set it up. There's also a serious lack of software, despite
what some Linux fans will say. (GIMP is still not a very
good image editor, after 15+ years in development. WINE
is still not a solution, after 15+ years in development
and a ridiculous 10-day update cycle.)

I've seen an awfully
lot of people throw away perfectly good computers because
they started to run a bit slow and the people were told
by others that their PC had "got old", or that the OS was
somehow "outdated". I have some of those PCs now.
I clean them up and save them for people who might
need one.