Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Conclusion -- Cable 1, Verizon 0

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 8:17:18 PM UTC-5, Sasquatch JonesRalph West wrote:
Got Time Warner internet installed today and has old phone number ported to new service. After one day, so far so good. Will see how it goes month after month. Here's the high/low lights....

Last check with Verizon was going good with a new modem, it was 500K download and 1.2M upload. (Yes, that's what it was -- not the other way around as I would have expected.) DSL and no-frills phone was $115/month including taxes, fees, etc.

So the previous problem with the 35kb download speed was apparently
the modem?

Now with TWC, upload is 1M and download is 2M. Internet and phone is $37/month including taxes, etc.

Is that special pricing for the first year? If not, it's a very good deal.
More typical it's at least that for just phone or internet each.

All the calls to Verizon when phone was out over the past 2 months added $140 to my regular AT&T cell phone bill, but AT&T ended up applying a credit for most of that for being a 10+ year customer -- and for my good looks, of course. AT&T has been a first rate cell phone company and affordable - $50/month for 450 anytime minutes for 2 phones. Just don't go over that limit or it's 45-cents a minute (if you're not good looking like me. ;O)

ATT must have better cell plans than that. All the majors now have plans
with unlimited voice/text and data (500MB or 1GB, etc) for ~$45, some even
less.

And if you're not a high usage customer, there are other carriers that
mostly ride on Sprint that are half that price or less.