Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Windows 10 will be given away as a free upgrade for its firstyear of release

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 5:17:07 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 1:13:42 AM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 3:36:24 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 1/21/2015 3:32 PM, Roy wrote:
On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:17:56 PM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Want Windows 10? You got it: for free. This is a sea change in
Microsoft's strategy when it comes to upgrades. Gratis upgrades will
be available for Windows 7, 8.1 and even Windows Phone 8.1 users for a
full year.

http://gizmodo.com/windows-10-is-a-f...ear-1680771504

Liar, liar your pants are on fire. Won't apply to my nearly 3 year old Win 7 system.

Get the facts and get back to us.
=======

Too damned lazy to click the link and read, hey? Or are you
comprehension-impaired?

Here's another link:

Free Upgrade Offer

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified
new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices
that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified
Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it
up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more
secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time - for
no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send
you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the
coming months.

*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some
hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary
by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows
Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1
Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise,
Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software
Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to
Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more
information and additional offer terms in coming months.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-10_Null_01

Some editions are excluded. Some other conditions apply. Must be connected to the Internet.

If I QUALIFY I may be interested.

Wow, must be connected to the internet to get the free update.
What a show stopping hurdle for consumers! Outrageous!

So far, from what I see my Win 7 PCs are covered.
Amazing how some folks want to just **** all over stuff, even when it
looks genuine and generous. I mean here is MSFT giving out a free
major OS upgrade and you're complaining.

If Windows 10 is to be given out FREE, then we should be able to go to a computer outlet such as Staples or The Source and get a FREE disk with the software and no questions asked. Downloading the software as a service gives way too much control to Microsoft. I wonder if after the FREE offer is over will the purchased version be substantially different than the FREE one. There has to be a catch somewhere.

I guess when you're the one giving out free stuff, you can decide
how and where you're going to do it. I haven't bought a CD based
software product in years. Just got some antivirus software for example,
downloaded it from the manufacturer, entered the activation code.
That is the model the world is moving to, especially given the shift
in platforms, ie smartphones, tablets, etc.
I think it's unreasonable to expect a company to stock retail channels
with a free product, that they don't have to give you to begin with.
Who's going to pay for that? They don't stock retail with SP1, SP2, etc,
ie the other free upgrades they give you. That's how MSFT is apparently
treating this. If I was MSFT, I might offer a CD version, sold directly,
for some reasonable charge to cover the costs, for people in special circumstances.