Ken Grunke

Default Willow

Anonymous wrote:
I'm about to receive some largish hunks of weeping willow. My new/scanty
reference library doesn't say anything about willow. Does any one in the
group have any tips for turning it?

Bill

The willow in my area is a very pretty wood, and extremely easy to turn.
But it's kind of weak, and chips out easily.
Good wood to practice on, fun to turn, be sure to use scary-sharp tools.
I recently turned an urn vase from it which will be a keeper--but the
rim chipped out, so I'll have to put a collar on it of harder wood.

Ken Grunke
SW Wisconsin
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Member, Coulee Region Woodturners AAW chapter
http://www.crwoodturner.com/