Derek Andrews

Default Willow

Anonymous wrote:

I'm about to receive some largish hunks of weeping willow. My new/scanty
reference library doesn't say anything about willow. Does any one in the
group have any tips for turning it?

Never turned any.

Mike Abbott writing in Green Woodwork says that there are many varieties
and hybrids of willow. It is used for makes gate-hurdles, hay rakes, and
one variety is used for making cricket bats. It has a very open fibrous
texture drying out to be very light in weight.

Textbook of Wood technology mentions that willows are similar to the
poplars, but willow tends to be reddish brown. Uses are artificial limbs
(this book was first published in 1949), boxes and crates, furniture,
cooperage, woodenware and novelties, charcoal (especially suitable for
black powder manufacture).

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning