Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default "New" Slantfin Boiler won't heat house -- from alt.hvac

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 10:53:35 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/17/2015 9:21 PM, TimR wrote:

I'm not seeing why you suspect the high limit switch. Wouldn't that require hitting the reset, if tripped? This boiler short cycles during the day without tripping any safeties.

The high limit switch shuts the heat off when the boiler water is at
temperature. If it cuts it prematurely, it won't heat the water enough
to heat the house. No reset required, that is how it is supposed to
work to make the burner cycle.

The water cools as it gives its heat to the rest of the hose. Once it
get down to the low limit, the burner is started again.

It appears from the OP's statement that the boiler does get up to temperature, and stops quickly. That argues against the high limit switch I think. It's the radiators that never get hot.