Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default "Smart" thermostat

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 11:58:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote: wrote:
When it comes to thermostats, K.I.S.S.
is the best feature!

Hi,
Not interested in saving energy cost a bit and
improving indoor comfort year round? If not,
I am sure K.I.S.S one will do. "

My KISS is a 4-stage digital programmable
Honeywell, thank you very much. No "smart
learning" gimmickery included.

I wouldn't call adaptive recovery a gimmick. Implemented correctly,
as in the VisionPro series, it works very well. If you're using
set-back, the alternatives are either:

1 - Have it set to change to the "wake" temp at the earliest it
ever needs to, ie for the coldest nights. If you do that, then most
of the time the furnace is going to start a lot earlier, probably an
hour plus earlier than it needs to.

2 - Put up with the house still being cold when you get up on those
cold mornings.

3 - Change the programmed time, depending on how cold it's going to be
those nights.

Adaptive recovery takes care of that, it also works for AC, when that is
set back. As I said, mine hits the target time, closely, always getting
there by the time it's supposed to.