Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default "New" Slantfin Boiler won't heat house -- from alt.hvac

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 11:16:42 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
A person named Nahsani recently posted the following on the alt.hvac
newsgroup:

"My two-year old Slantfin Boiler won't heat the house above 65
degrees, and it's usually at 60 degrees. It'll come on and off
randomly for short periods of time (as short as one second) and over
a long period of time, it may bring up the temp to 65. As another
example, I had the (new) thermostat, which my oil company replaced
saying that was the problem, up to 72 overnight and into the day,
and the temp in the house is still 60 degrees. I have also left the
thermostat pegged on high for two days with the same result. The
company who installed the boiler doesn't, for some reason, believe
that this problem exists, because when they came, the house was
"warm" i.e. 65 degrees! and the gauges on the boiler were up to the
correct pressure. I have obviously severed business relations with
them, but I still have the problem. Any ideas what might be causing
this?"

Who knows. It doesn't make a lot of sense. If it's only coming on
and
off for short periods of time, incapable of raising the temp, then
that
should be demonstrable when the tech is there, regardless of whether
the house
happens to be 65. Just raise the thermostat to 75. What happens?
If the thing is not coming on, not generating proper heat, it should
be obvious. Something here doesn't compute. If the OP has really
given the contractor many attempts to fix this new install
and they can't or won't, then I'd call another HVAC company to solve
it, then
sue the original company in small claims for what it costs, if
necessary.

Any speculation here seems pointless, no indication the poster is DIY,
going to try to fix it himself. One of the easiest things, the
thermostat
has already been replaced.

Some of it does seem to be hard to figure out, but one thing that I like in
the other alt.hvac thread about this is that the OP has been willing to post
back more info in response to questions etc., and that is helping to fill in
the picture some.

I re-posted it here because I thought that Stormin Normin and maybe others
here may have some ideas.

I was definitely wondering what may be causing the short cycling where his
heater keeps cuttin gout and then restarting before getting the radiators
hot. I don't know if a bad circulator pump could cause that or if something
else is being detected by a sensor of some type that keeps telling the
heater to stop and then re-start.