Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathtub draining

On 1/14/2015 6:17 PM, TomR wrote:
In ,
I'd be curious if a closet auger will fit
into a drain over flow for a tub. I rather
doubt it. I await a field tester to report
here.

I understand your point, and a closet auger does seem like it would tend to
be ratherr large for this type of drain line. But, I have designed and run
new bathtub drain lines for a new tub from underneath, and when I can, I
design them so that a snake placed down through the overflow would go
straight down into a trap and then back up and then continue on inside the
horizontal drain line. I like to do it that way when I can to allow for
easy snaking out of the tub drain line. I haven't tried it, but I think
that the ones that I have designed and installed would accept a closet
auger.

Well, it's very possible. As for me, I'd
think to try a sink drain snake, and then
follow that with boiling water, or hydroxide.

Takes all types to make a world.

--
..
Christopher A. Young