Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default 2 black wires but no white wire (photocell-controlled fixture)

On Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 12:49:23 PM UTC-7, J.R. wrote:
I have a condo porch light that's controlled by a master photocell on the
outside wall which also turns on other exterior lights at night. You can
turn the porch light on/off from inside the condo as well.

This porch light was removed/replaced years ago and now needs to be
reinstalled. The bulb type is a 2-Pin G23 fluorescent.

Confusion arises because the light's housing has two black wires but NO
white wire. It also has a green ground wire that appears to have not been
used in the original installation (end is still insulated).

The wall box has the typical one black and one white wire, with ground
apparently optional.

Can I hook one black to black and the other black to white? Or should I tie
both blacks to black and cap off the white box wire? Thanks for any
concepts.

J.R.

always use the black wire on the center post of the light socket. The shell of the socket to the white of the condo.