Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Drilling/mortising new doors

On 1/13/2015 5:11 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Meanie" wrote in message

A friend is purchasing 9 interior 6-panel doors of various sizes for her
parents home. According to her they are mostly closet doors. She is
purchasing the door only and no frame. Obviously, this means all doors
will need to be drilled and mortised for hinges and she asked me if I
would do it.

Normally, I would do a single door or two of my own and never worried
about a template and routed the hinge by placing guides for the router
based on my measurements, but it was time consuming. I don't want to
spend all day or two doing 9 doors, therefore, I think it's best if I
use a template. I'm seeking suggestions on what template to use/buy or
suggestions on getting through the job fast.

It's easy enough to make a template...2x4 with masonite or ply cut to
size/shape of the hinges fastened to 2x4; index 2x4 to top or bottom of
door, clamp to door, rout.

A little trickier in your case. Are the jamb mortices round or square
corner? If round, a 1/2" router bit wil most likely match; if square,
you will have to chisel out the corners.

Is the hinge spacing consistent on all the jambs? Probably is but if
not, forget a one size fits all template,

I agree, making a template/jig is easy but at this time, I'm uncertain
of the hinge sizes or shape. I will be visiting the home today and check
the hinges, then remove one to make a jig. I'm hoping they are all the
same, which they should be.

---