Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Follow-up on next door neighbor

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 01:55:01 -0500, micky
wrote:

It would be a lot more work. The non-laundry room that is in the rear
of the house is finished, with a sheet rock ceiling. Using one snake,
I ran coaxial cable (that ultimately came from my cable box) above the
ceiling, and using two snakes, I ran wires for the burglar alarm switch
in the sliding glass door channel also, but between a different pair of
joists.

Isnt there a center beam going across the basement ceiling? Just run it
against that beam, thru that room, and build a wooden box over it.

He could probably fit his sump pump pipe in next to the copper pipe that
goes to the rear garden faucet. I'm pretty sure that pipe turns
vertical at the very end for about 6 inches, but with a lot of
measurement one might be able to tell where the sump pump pipe was to
come out and drill a hole in the brick wall in the right place Have to
either drill from the outside or make a hole in the ceiling.

That might work too!

Burying a pipe from there to the stream bed would not be hard, but it
would take some time and money. He doesn't seem to like to do things**
himself, and I don't think he'd pay for it. They had to postpone the
basement bathroom for 6 months for lack of money.

Assuming the land sloped TOWARD the stream (which it usually does).
Just get some 3" or 4" PVC, glue them together, and leave it on top of
the ground. That way, if it was to freeze up, at least it can be thawed
or changed during the winter. Sure it's a little extra work to mow
around it, but is probably better than what you have now. Even if that
pipe only goes 20 feet closer to that stream and exits (assuming it's
downhill), you have eliminated the ice on sidewalk problem as well as
saturating both of your foundations.

Since you want to get along with that neighbor, why dont you offer to
install the pipes in his basement, in trade for a good dinner or
something, and all he has to pay for are the materials. A 10ft stick of
1.5" PVC is around $7 . You probably need 4 or 5???? a few fittings
and some glue and hangers. My guess is $50 or so for parts. Just a
thought! The outside pipes can be added later.... Even an old used
rain gutter will work for that outside part, or buy some of that cheap
flexible sump pump hose.