Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Follow-up on next door neighbor

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 01:19:18 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 19:39:06 -0500, micky
wrote:

(All the other houses drain the sump and the downspout underground
(after first going above ground) to the gutter. My house drains the
sump underground to the side of the stream bed. But his house isn't
close to either of these things. Well, it's close to the steam bed in
the back, but the sump pump is in the front)

So, then he should run some 1.5" PVC across the basement ceiling from
the front to the back of the house, and exit thru the back wall, then
put a pipe on the lawn and run it to the stream. (of course it has to
slope downhill or it will freeze). That would be fairly easy and cheap
to do.

Please see my answer to Trader.

Of course from reading this thread, it appears he wont do anything.
Then again, it's his property and not your concern. If he screws up his
house, that's his business, not yours.

I keep wondering, if the pipes to his garden faucets freeze, burst, and
then flood his basement, how high would the water have to get to seep
though the cinderblock wall into my basement? AIUI, there is likely
just one layer of cinderblocks between us. I don't think it would
happen, but otoh if it happens when they're away for a couple days???

The pipes woudn't "burst", would they? They'd have a crack or two
running the length of the frozen part, 1 to 6 inches?, maybe only a
millmimeter wide??? How much water would come out of that? The sump
pump would try to remove it, but I keep wondering if it would be big
enough. 1/3 or 1/2 HP.

You can suggest things, but you
cant MAKE him do anything.

I know that. And I think I'm done suggesting, unless some new problem
arises. (and to be honest, if I see the plumber, I ask about this and
whether he's getting an upflush toilet. I wonder if he took me
seriously on that. I was in their house to look at the sump pump, for
which they seemed grateful, and I noticed the basement sink wasn't
plugged. The previous owner too, I warned her 2 or 3 times, and when
the stream flooded, she had a sad look on her face when she told me she
forgot to plug the sink. I didn't ask anymore, to not rub it in. I
really liked her. Very pretty too. I had a plan to lose 40 pounds and
30 years and ask her out. Didnt' lose any weight but I lost 15 years,
however before I knew it, she married someone else.

If there is ice building up in YOUR yard,

It may well get on part of my yard, that's only 3 feet from the ice now,
which will mean, because of bushes, taking a different route to my car,
which will mean walking over a corner of my other next door neighbor's
yard, a guy who seems to sincerely think he owns the piece of land I'd
be walking on (in addition to the corner that is his)!!! Fortunately
the mailman walks that same path, so my footprints in the snow won't be
the only ones (though the mailman goes only one direction!)

But other than that small piece of land, the drain water runs out about
20 feet from my yard so I'm sure that will never happen. I did stop
shoveling the snow a foot early** because it was covered with his ice.
And I have to walk on the snow to get to my car now, instead of the
sidewalk, but that won't really hurt anything.

**It's his sidewalk anyhow, but I've never told a neighbor that.

then you might contact the local building inspectors.

Since you mentioned a stream next to the house, there is a good chance
that stream has underground channels or a spring, and it may be under
his basement.

Hmmm.