Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Cheap and cheerful bench power supply

On 15/06/2015 1:03 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Gareth Magennis wrote:

Since then, nothing ever leaves my workshop without a final test, fully
assembled, ready to go.

** Had a customer once who decided it was perfectly OK to bring just the chassis from his combo amp in for service, with the valves removed and packed separately. He wanted it back that way too.

He was not a customer for long.

Final testing is when you often find new, unreported faults and any errors made during servicing.

**Indeed. It is crucial to any decent service job. For any decent
product which hits my bench, it is subject to significant under-load
testing, to reasonable operating temps, plus basic performance tests to
verify operation. For some amps, that can mean several hours of testing.
Particularly those with several tens of kg of heat sinking. Even the
cheapest, crappiest amp that lands on my bench is tested for basic
performance before leaving. Anything less can be a costly mistake.

Nothing worse than a customer who brings in a box full of parts, asking
for me to fix it.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au