Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rev. 11D Meow![_2_] Rev. 11D Meow![_2_] is offline

Default Sony TCD-D8 DAT Walkman no longer fully loads tape cartidge.

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:56:15 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

"Rev. 11D Meow!" wrote in message
.. .

I've hunted all over and find decades old information on this being a
typical problem for this unit, but cannot find the parts &
instructions on how to fix it.

I Have The Tools

Anyone familiar with this situation on these units, so I can get mine
working again, please?

In the interim I bought their PCM-M1 in mint condition to get going
again, but it'd be really nice to get my old tried & true TCD-D8
running again as it's in pristine condition other than this failure to
load.

Thanks

I used to repair DAT's years ago. Even then I wouldn't fix one of these
unless I had to, they were and are a nightmare.

Partly due to the fact that they have a miniature head, meaning you have to
wrap the tape around a load more of it than the 90 degrees a normal head
requires.
And being kind of small, they were kind of a ******* to work on anyway.

Typical DAT problems are dirty or broken Mode Switches. These tell the
machine what position the transport and loading mechanism are in. Or won't
if they don't work properly.
You can sometimes clean these with switch cleaner.

Other common loading problems is the loading mech not getting the tape quite
far enough when trying to wrap it round the head. This can be due to worn
or dry sleds and runners. Careful lubrication might help.
You can sometimes clarify whether this is the problem by trying to give them
a helping hand whilst loading - sometimes you will be able to push them
fully home.

But there are all sorts of other mechanical things that wear, lose their
lubricants, and were just not designed well in the first place.
It's usually a combination of many many different things being not quite
right any more.

If you want a DAT that is very easy to work on, get a Panasonic SV3700 or
3800.

Good luck.

Gareth.

Thanks, Gareth, it appears it's some sort of cam wear on this thing in
the loading mechanism which causes grief. Sitting for over a decade
certainly couldn't cause this wear, though, is what I am hoping...

It was working 111% when last used and put away carefully.

for a really long time.

I am surprised it powers-on at all, actually, much less this
replacement PCM-M1 which is plowing through the 33 DAT cartridges I
never got around to mulling over to the Archive drives.

The CORE cable I bought that does 7-pin Sont DAT communications hooked
to a single grounded line to one specific pin out to a RCA plug
coaxial S-P/DIF connector into the M-Audio M-Track Plus input of
similar ilk, though the signal level mismatch does not appear to be
any problem whatsoever as CORE explains on its site.

YAY

all these ambient tapes with occasina Harley-Davidson engine noises
AND the crows.

That's pretty much it on these archive tapes.

What a joy to spend another thousand dollars on what would probably
cost $20/tape to get transcribed.

But Now I Have The Equipment To GO RETRO again still...

DAT ROCKS!