Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Glue

On 5/31/2015 8:41 AM, Ian Malcolm wrote:
John McCoy wrote in
:

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:mkd4sp$ck3$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Will titebond or any glue make a satisfactory joint with a varnished
surface?

Typically, no - the glue may stick well to the varnish,
but then the varnish will pull off the wood.

Typically what's done in cases like this is to tape over
the area that will be glued, then varnish (or whatever),
remove the tape, and glue up the joint.

If it's going outside, you'd want to use Titebond III
or epoxy.

Also, you'd probably want to use spar varnish. Spar
varnish is softer than regular varnish, and tolerates
thermal expansion due to sunlight better.

John

Your best bet is to epoxy coat all parts before assembly, use epoxy for
the glueup then varnish after assembly with a GOOD brand of marine
varnish (i.e one sold in chandlrys not DIY stores). Even so, most boat
owners revarnish brightwork every year or two, unless they have fitted
covers for it to prevent UV damage, so dont expect your table to be
maintenance free.

Dont stand it on grass or bare earth and add plastic feet on the bottom
of the legs so they aren't in direct contact with the ground, or you will
be stripping and refinishing the legs long before the rest of the table.

OP Thanks for the comments.

The outdoor stone-patio use would be occasionally during the summer. It
would spend a lot of time on a wooden floored covered porch. The rest
of its time would be in my wife's studio.

I planned on putting some sort of button feet on the legs so they are
not in contact with the ground.