Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default some wood but more metal

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 1:19:55 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
saw an interesting store needed no wood for the structure nor steel
beams the structure was made from ship steel plates

i like the idea of fire and forget buildings
no roofing repairs and no painting
not sure about tornadoes or hurricanes but it won't burn down

What about windows? How did they add windows into this steel plate?
Windows on ships are non-existent in the hull I think.

Ummmmm... cut holes and insert sealed windows. I think you are quite
wrong about windows not being installed in the steel hull of a ship.

Well, technically he's right - ships have portholes, not windows.
But I suspect what he had in mind was the curved part of the hull
(i.e. the bilges) below the waterline.

The problem I see with a steel building (other than the absurd
cost) is heating and cooling. You'd have to ceil(*) the insides,
and put in plenty of insulation.

John

(* everyone other than Lew now heads for their dictionaries...)