Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Resawing on the band saw

On 5/14/2015 8:01 PM, HerHusband wrote:
I have a Grizzly G0555 band saw. I bought the tall resaw fence and
have tried a few different blades including the 1/2" Woodslicer blade.
I'm currently using a 3/8" wet-wood blade for resawing logs.

I installed new polyurethane tires, got the saw as coplaner as
possible, and have readjusted the guides many times.

Anyway, I have just about given up trying to resaw with a parallel
fence. No matter how many times I adjust the fence for drift the piece
binds or the blade bows in the cut. I can get it working fine once,
but the next time I use it the fence doesn't match the drift angle.

I have tried different blade tensions, from the mark on the saw
indicator, to looser, to much tighter. I haven't seen that it makes
much difference.

I can resaw "relatively" straight by just drawing a line and following
it freehand. Are there any advantages to using a pivot fence instead
of just cutting freehand?

Of course, I can't really draw a line on a log to resaw it freehand. I
kind of need the fence for that.

Is it just the saw?

Just a follow-up to my earlier post...

I dismantled the G0555 band saw and drilled out the holes for the
alignment pins. I think the original holes were 1/4", I oversized them to
3/8". This gave me a tiny bit of play to adjust the upper half of the
frame.

I put the saw back together and tightened the blade. Both wheels are
coplaner and the blade tracks in the center of both wheels.

I still needed the shims behind the lower wheel, so shifting the upper
half slightly didn't make a lot of difference.

Anyway, I adjusted the fence for the blade drift and resawed a couple of
small 2x8 boards with no difficulties. Nice and flat, no bowing in the
middle. So for now, with the current blade, the saw seems to be working
as it should.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Thanks for the followup.
I did the same to my delta years ago, when I told a group on lumberjocks
that I received a ton of flack telling me that doesn't work, and is
necessary. Amazing that people will tell you that it can't solve your
problem even though it did.

--
Jeff