Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Question for you deck builders

Hi Larry,

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a
fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed
in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.
So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

I vote for a free standing deck.

Manufactured/mobile homes are typically supported by a steel frame running
down the middle of the home. They do not have the structural rim joists
around the perimeter like a traditional home.

When we had our mobile home I built two free standing decks. I just used
deck blocks sitting on the ground, and framed the deck structure so there
was about a one inch gap between the deck and mobile. This allowed each to
move independently, as well as letting water/snow run off without causing
rot. When we sold the mobile and moved it out, I simply tore down the decks
leaving no damage to the mobile itself. Both decks lasted 13 years in use,
then I recycled the redwood to build a bookcase and a variety of shelves.

Remember to add diagonal bracing to your deck structure. Since it won't be
secured to the house, you need to prevent it from wracking side to side.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com