Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Question for you deck builders

hubops wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a
fairly large deck at his cabin.
The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab.
There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The
skirting is framed in 2x4s
with verticle studs 16 inches on center.
So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework?
Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?
Thanks, Larry

I wouldn'r even think about it twice. Free standing, all the way.
Even the front porch on my house is built free-standing - no ledger
board attached to the house. Same for my 12X12 rear deck.

" Free-Standing " means ... on-ground deck blocks ?
.. or concrete piers going down 3 - 4 feet deep .. ?

Neither. Free standing means not attached to another structure.

Timely post - I'm needing to re-build my 12 x 20 deck -
after it failed last summer - the "anchors" started to fail -
where they were connected into the house . .
might have been just nails ? dunno yet
... what a pain-in-the-butt !
I've added a small dog-run around half the deck ..
I'm thinking of pressure-treated framework -
with, perhaps - synthetic decking ?
Any helpful advice / experience - is appreciated.
I'm in S. Ontario Canada near Clair :-)
John T.